Without realising it, I have been conducting this experiment. I should clarify - it is that horrible slog of the summer holidays (my penultimate summer holidays, I should add) when time moves like treacle and you forget what day of the week it is. There is the overhanging pressure of ought, those things you really ought to do, and they hang over you with such a weight that little tasks become massive chores. Even getting out of my pajamas this week has become a Sisyphean task.
My deluded self-reasoning is: why bother to change to something else when in a matter of hours, you'll be back in pajamas? In fact, why bother at all, with anything? Freshly washed hair becomes dirty. A made-up bed becomes unmade hours after. When you decide to stay in your pajamas, everything becomes utterly, utterly futile.
But reader, rejoice! I am writing this in genuine, real-life actual-person clothes (they are comfy enough to be pajama-adjacent, but this does not detract from the victory). I am atop a fully made bed with washed hair. I have pushed a boulder up a mountain.
I have a deep hatred for the profit-driven, unimaginative slop that is self-help literature and all the shit it peddles, but 'dress for the job you want'? Okay, okay, they may have been on to something there. It seems I have spent the last week looking for work experience as a duvet tester. But now in my regular clothes I have sat down an written something, I have done some of those oughts and laughed at how small they were. I am not quite the perfect productive student yet, but I have decided I will at least dress the part.
No comments:
Post a Comment