Shampoo. I think about what they put in it. Cocamidopropylamine Oxide. The fuck? Someone makes them up surely. Chuckling at shampoo HQ, making a smorgasbord of words I forgot from Chemistry GCSE. Smells nice. I don't question it for much longer.
When I scrub it into my hair, my scalp shifts and slides around my skull, an unnerving sensation I try to move my attention from. Like itchy tights, exam hand cramps. Makes me think of what being scalped would feel like. Would you feel the wind on your skull?
I think of Blood Meridian. I haven't read it, watched a Youtube summary. I think scalping is a major theme. Wikipedia identifies it as one of the contenders for the mythical 'Great American Novel'; such an American notion in and of itself. No one has chosen the Great Swedish Novel or the Great Australian Novel. And the Great British Novel - well that's just anything Dickens, right?
This leads me to sing half-remembered songs from the musical Oliver! for the rest of my shower.
No comments:
Post a Comment